Here is a brief statement of some of our core beliefs:
- We believe the entire Bible is the Word of God.
- We believe that God is the one living and true God who reveals himself to us as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe Jesus is God’s son.
- We believe that Jesus died for our sins and that he has risen from the dead.
- We believe that Jesus will return.
- We believe the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God and that he lives in the life of a Christian.
- We believe that human beings are created in the image of God, but that human beings sinned by choice. That sin separates us from God.
- We believe that human beings need forgiveness of their sins if they are to become children of God. We believe that Jesus Christ forgives the sins of anyone who will seek his forgiveness and his salvation.
- We believe that when an individual receives Christ as Savior and Lord, that individual is a new creation. When that person becomes a follower of Christ, he or she is a Christian.
- We believe that when one becomes a Christian, a child of God, that individual will forever be a child of God.
- We believe the church is the body of Christ. We believe the local church is the expression of God’s church. We believe the church is a local body of baptized believers.
- We believe that baptism by immersion of believers is the command of Jesus to believers and it is symbolic in nature.
- We believe the Lord’s Supper is also the symbolic expression of Jesus’ sacrifice for us and of our incorporation into his body.
These statements comprise a portion of our core beliefs. We have expressed them very simply. For those who are interested, we have much more information. First Baptist Church subscribes to the 1963 Baptist Faith and Message. In that document, you will see much more detail related to these and other beliefs. You will also find the Scripture references that support these doctrines.